Camp S.O.U.L. culminates with performance

Chris Pickrell

As rain fell on Friday, June 13, about 30 high-school students performed what some described as “most excellent” within the walls of the Wells-Metz Theatre.\n“The performance engaged the audience,” attendee Clark Whitlow said. “Afro-American music – it’s a participatory music, that’s the ultimate compliment. What they made me feel, so naturally, was alive.”\nCamp S.O.U.L, sponsored by IU’s Office of Community and Schools Partnerships, brought together underrepresented high school students from around Indiana to participate in a five-day camp, which ended in the performance. The sixth annual summer music program focused on the historical, theoretical and performance dimensions of African American music and culture, according to a press release. \n“The camp has been, first of all, musical because it engages students in Afro-American music and also, and most importantly, allows them to experience the college and university environment,” said Tyron Cooper, the founder and director of the program. “I hope it strikes their curiosity to attend college and motivate them.”\nParticipants, who were chosen through an audition process, attended the camp from June 8-13, where they worked from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day on music and choreography, as well as watched various professional performances, including a jazz combo and classical violinist.\nCamp counselor Chris Bates said the camp was more than just a place for participants to express themselves musically and to be around other kids who are as talented and driven as they are. \n“There’s a lot that goes on that will benefit them later on in life,” he said. “It’s really all about discipline because that’s the main thing that carries people on through life.”\nHowever, in addition to providing support for participants, Bates said working for Camp S.O.U.L. provided him with a great experience of his own.\n“This is one of the most positive experiences I’ve had in my own life. It is good to be able to affect someone in a positive way and allow them to take it with them,” he said. “It was good to use my life experiences to help them get through theirs.”