NCAA tourney up next for Hoosiers

The No. 38 IU men’s tennis team (16-9, 5-5) began its 2008 campaign with one goal – to make it to the NCAA regional tournament in May.\nLast Tuesday, during the NCAA selection show hosted by ESPN, the Hoosiers found out their goal had been accomplished.\nThe selection committee picked the Hoosiers to play in the regional hosted by No. 4 University of Mississippi, who would be IU’s second-round match-up if they can get by No. 29 Vanderbilt University in round one.\nThe Commodores, despite winning only five matches in conference play, managed to notch 13 overall wins and retain their top-30 ranking nationally.\nAfter a disappointing 5-2 loss to Penn State on April 20 in their final match of the regular season, first-year IU head coach Randy Bloemendaal said with a few wins in the conference tournament the team could receive an NCAA bid.\nDespite winning only one match in the Big Ten Tournament, Bloemendaal and his young Hoosier squad are headed for their first appearance in the NCAA tournament since 2001. The bid this year marks the Hoosiers’ fifth-ever appearance in the tournament.\nIn their last match, IU fell to a talented No. 15 Illinois squad for the second time this season. The Illini swept the Hoosiers in the second round of the conference tournament as play was halted after the score read 4-0.\nIU matches up well with the Commodores, beginning with doubles matches, which were the Hoosiers’ most consistent strengths t’s top ranked doubles tandem of No. 45 Ryan Preston and Vijay Paul come in one slot higher than No. 46 Phillip Eilers and Lachlan Ferguson.\nThe Hoosiers haven’t faced Vanderbilt since 2005 and hold a 14-7 lead in the all-time series against them. The Commodores managed a 3-1 record against Big Ten foes this season, with their lone loss coming against Michigan – a team the Hoosiers handled well in a 5-2 victory on Senior Day in Bloomington.\nIU hopes to improve on their 1-4 record all-time in the NCAA tournament. Their only win came against nonconference rival Kentucky in 2000. They defeated the Wildcats in a 4-1 decision.\nThe Hoosiers are tentatively slotted to play at 3 p.m. Friday.his season. Vanderbilt