Students cope as gas prices soar to record-high price

Brandon Foltz

As gas prices rise with the temperature, some students are feeling a burn in their wallets.\nThe national average price of regular unleaded gas on Thursday was $3.556 per gallon – a record high, according to AAA. That’s up from $2.864 per gallon at this time last year.\n“I think they’re outrageous,” said sophomore Molly Scott of the gas prices.\nScott said gas prices have to go up, but they shouldn’t go up so drastically. She said she thinks the country’s leaders don’t realize how it affects society and people’s daily lives. She also said the war and the economy aren’t helping matters any.\nAAA Hoosier Motor Club Public Affairs Manager Greg Seiter said the reasons for the increase in gas prices include the costs of refineries changing from “basic bulk” gasoline sold in the winter to Environmental Protection Agency-mandated reformulated gasoline sold during the summer. He said during this time of year people can almost bet gas will go up a little for that reason.\nGraduate student Lauren Morrill-Ragusea said she thinks the higher gas prices are caused by a combination of sources, but she said it’s not fair that oil companies are making so much money. \nShe said she used to be able to fill her car up for $12, and now it costs $30.\n“It sucks,” she said.\nSeiter said demand is up because the days are getting longer – crude oil is up to about $117 or $118 per barrel. The price was about $60 a barrel a year ago, he said, and it’s a popular time of year to go on vacations.\nHe said oil is traded throughout the world with the United States dollar, so a weaker dollar in other countries tends to raise demand for oil, raising prices. The United States imports much of its oil.\n“We are in some ways at their mercy,” Seiter said about foreign oil-producing countries.\nSeiter said there is a significant energy problem in the United States.\n“A lot of it, quite frankly, is our own doing,” Seiter said, referring to the average American.\nSeiter said if people would obey speed limits, keep their cars tuned up and keep tires properly inflated, people’s money would be saved over the long run.\nHe also said Americans need to stop buying big trucks and SUVs because they’re fashionable. \n“The decrease in demand needs to come from the individual themselves,” Seiter said.\nMorrill-Ragusea said she saves money on gas by walking when she goes downtown, taking the bus and waiting for the gas light in her car to come on before filling up.\nScott said in order to reduce money she spends on gas, she carpools as much as possible while driving around campus and doesn’t go home as much as she did last year. She also said she rides the bus more.\n“I’d buy a fuel-efficient car if I had money,” she said.