Start the day with balance

Breakfast helps sharpen memory, keep weight off

With classes, extracurricular activities and jobs, many college students find eating breakfast is the last thing on their agenda. \nBut students who don’t eat breakfast might be missing out. According to the latest research published by Project Eating Among Teens, having a complete breakfast gives people the nutrients needed for sustained energy for both optimum physical and mental function, and gives them the ability to focus throughout the day.\nFreshman Andrew Emmert doesn’t eat breakfast for the same reason as many students. \n“I very rarely eat breakfast because I’m not very hungry at that time in the morning,” he said.\nHowever, fitness expert Dave Patania said breakfast is important for everyone, but especially young adults.\n“Growing bodies need a constant supply of quality nutrients throughout the day, starting with a balanced breakfast,” he said. \nIn the morning, the body efficiently utilizes the calories and nutrients consumed, keeping the body and appetite satisfied. This sets the body up for normal meals throughout the day rather than allowing hunger to cause poor food choices.\n“People who say they are not hungry at breakfast skip breakfast thinking they will eat less during the day,” said Janet Mohrman, a registered dietician at St. Joseph Medical Center in Bloomington, Ill. \nHowever, she said this isn’t always the case.\n“We find that a lot of overweight people neglect eating breakfast in the morning,” Mohrman said. “Most people end up overcompensating later in the day. If everyone just enjoyed what they ate during the day, they will curb bingeing later.”\nMohrman said eating is like filling up an automobile \nwith gas.\n“If you don’t have enough fuel, your energy will deplete and you will just run out of gas,” Mohrman said. “It can improve your problem-solving abilities, memory and mood for peek performance. It is also an excellent time to get in your fiber, vitamins and minerals.”\nA balanced breakfast means eating a lean protein – such as four scrambled egg whites with one yolk – or complete carbohydrates such as oatmeal. For students on the go, fruit such as strawberries and blueberries with water will set the tone for a stable metabolism. \n“It’s all about making nutrition a priority, and the benefits will be noticed very quickly,” Patania said.