OMG, WTF, TTYL

WE SAY: Don’t punish the whole class for a few technology addicts

The click-clack of texting seems inescapable these days, even in the classroom. As our phones have become prosthetic extensions growing out of our hands and ears, we have grown inseparable from them. Even many of us on the Editorial Board confess to sending these grammatically-deficient missives to our friends, and the problem of texting in class has grown with the increased prevalence of the technology. \nOne professor, however, thinks he has found the solution. Every time he catches someone texting in his class, Syracuse University philosophy professor Laurence Thomas simply leaves the classroom. Citing a lack of respect toward his position as professor, Thomas walks out to reciprocate this lack of respect to the texters.\nAlthough his intentions may appear noble and fair, it’s unfortunate that Thomas chose to go about his crusade in a way which disrespected not only the offending students, but was also the rest of the class who was attempting to listen and learn. Rather than trying to help other students learn or even punishing the distracting clickers, Thomas punished all his students with his melodramatic display.\nSome have raised the argument that since they pay so much to go to school, they are entitled to do whatever they want during class. What business is it of the professor if the student chooses not to pay attention? The professor is paid to teach, not to babysit. This is true, but only up to a point. Once behavior becomes disruptive to the learning environment, it hinders others’ ability to get the education they want. This is fundamental.\nThe difficulty, of course, is in negotiating which activities are disruptive and which aren’t. Professors have a certain amount of leeway in deciding what is and isn’t acceptable in their classrooms. Certainly talking on the phone screws up the classroom dynamic, but texting can be silent and nearly undetectable, especially in a giant lecture class, like the one Thomas teaches. If someone can send texts without distracting others, where’s the disruption? \nWe hardly condone texting, or any other distracting activity (including reading this editorial), in class. Respect must flow both ways in the classroom, from the professor to the student and vice versa. We cannot expect professors to treat us with respect if we treat their classrooms as opportunities to send the latest gossip to our friends. Texting in class shows that we don’t care about what we’re learning or not learning. \nWhen dealing with a situation in which students repeatedly disrespected him, Thomas was certainly in a frustrating situation. Nevertheless, Thomas responded inappropriately to this unfortunate situation. Instead of remaining on the higher ground of respect and dignity, he stooped to the childish tactics of the tic-tac-toe scribblers who needed a lesson. If students see that a professor can stomp out in a huff, they will see that he is no more deserving of respect than they are.\nThere is, of course, a simple way to deal with this if a texting-intolerant professor such as Thomas wants to make a disciplinarian statement. Instead of removing the professor from the classroom, remove the offending student. What’s more disruptive, after all: texting? Or having your professor walk out the door?