Augusta produces another Masterful start

Masters Golf

Zach Johnson went on the defensive at the Masters, as if trying to show last year’s win was hardly a fluke.\nOn a sunny opening day that featured Ian Poulter’s hole-in-one and overwhelming favorite Tiger Woods needing 15 holes to get warmed up, Johnson was steady all the way around the course on his way to a 2-under 70 at Augusta National. Johnson and Poulter finished two shots behind a two-way tie for first place after day one.\nWoods plodded through the first 12 holes with nothing but pars on a warm, sunny day at Augusta National. He stumbled with two straight bogeys but quickly got back to even when he chipped in from just off the green at No. 15, bringing out his first fist pump of the tournament.\nOf course, it’s early. No matter what happens in the opening round, Woods likely will remain the overwhelming favorite to win his fifth green jacket – the starting point for an unprecedented Grand Slam.\nJohnson was little more than an afterthought, despite his improbable win a year ago. His victory was viewed as a fluke of the weather. Cold, blustery conditions made it possible for him to play it safe and claim the green jacket with a 1-over 289, tied for highest winning scorer in Masters history.\nStill, Johnson was the only player in the field with a chance to win back-to-back titles, a feat accomplished by only three other golfers.\n“All in all, a pretty good solid round,” said Johnson, who shot 35 on the front side and matched it on the back nine. “I’m very, very honored to be the defending champion.”\nPoulter, known as much for his garish outfits and eccentric hairstyles as his shot-making, sent the patrons into a frenzy with his hole-in-one at the 170-yard gem known \nas Redbud.\nWith more fans than ever able to watch from the adjacent hill, Poulter launched an 8-iron over the water that landed about 20 feet right of the hole, curled up and around the ridge – and rolled right in.\n“As soon as it left the club, I knew it was going to be pretty good,” Poulter said. “It was quite nice to see it drop.”\nThe patrons roared as though it was the back nine Sunday.\n“There was an unbelievable buzz,” said Poulter, who actually went a little tame with his attire: lime green pants with matching visor, and a striped white shirt. “That was a special moment. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. It was great.”