Back Alley’s fate might be in peril

Pete Stuttgen

Senior Seth Nycum spends a lot of time at the Back Alley in the Indiana Memorial Union. But he might not be able to much longer.\nUnion officials are deciding between keeping the Back Alley and replacing it with something else.\nNycum recently created a new group on Facebook, “Save the Back Alley.” The group, created in response to the possibility of the Back Alley being replaced, now has more than 200 members. Nycum, who works at the Back Alley, finds it to be a great social atmosphere to relax and hang out with friends.\nIMU Executive Director Bruce Jacobs wants to make it clear that no decision has yet been made. Jacobs is responsible for the day-to-day and long-term planning of the IMU. Jacobs is also a member of the Union Board, the governing body of the IMU.\n“I’m excited about the decent attention the Back Alley is getting,” Nycum said.\nHe said the Back Alley is especially important for underclassmen who aren’t 21 and can’t go to the bars.\n“While it is also my job, I believe students have the right to talk about what they want in the Union,” Nycum said.\nNycum also said families love the bowling alley, which hosts birthday parties for children. It is a safe environment without any alcohol around and a good place for students to socialize, have fun and relax, he said. Not to mention, it’s cheap.\nJacobs said Union Board and members of the staff and University community have discussed for more than two years how the Union can best serve the students and if the Back Alley is the best use of space. \nLiz Retana, Union Board president, said this discussion is about what to do with the whole Union, not just The Back Alley. Retana said the Board could decide that nothing needs to be changed in the Union. \nThe Union Board is currently creating a committee that will include Retana and Jacobs and 15 to 16 students who are involved in the student activities tower and who work for the Union.\n“Each committee member can provide a unique perspective, as each of us is involved with different aspects of the Union,” said Retana, who is also an employee at the Union.\nRetana said other people are going to come in and pitch ideas to the committee. For example, she said she wants the bowling team to come in and give its feedback to the committee.\nNycum said the Back Alley needs improvement. The bowling alley is outdated and the arcade was removed last summer. Nycum said he spoke with senior Tomo Sato who said that the pool tables aren’t even level.\nJohn Bower, assistant coordinator of indoor recreation at the IMU, said the bowling alley is nearly 50 years old. He said they will have to put money into it. \nBower said he has a vision of turning the alley into a bowling lounge. He said he wants to create a “third space” that’s open, warm and inviting to students. Bower would also like to add food options to the alley. Bower said there is a plan, if the Back Alley is to remain open, to “install a PC/Console-based game room that will have a mix of about 40 PC/Play Station/X-Box/Wii-type games.” \nThis game room was originally supposed to open in the spring but has been held off until the Union Board’s study is completed. Jacobs said there have been many renovations done to the IMU. \nIt is clear that, whatever the decision, it will largely be left up to the students. \n“Students benefit from being engaged,” Jacobs said.