Volleyball club brings unity

The IU Breakdancing Club, which arrived on campus four years ago, is full of energy, spark, talent and diversity. \nThey say they are in it for the competition and the experience, but that’s not all they get out of it.\nThe IU club volleyball players endure late-night practices and distant travel that brings the team closer together, giving the players a sense of camaraderie and closeness.\n“I like the guys a lot, and I love playing volleyball,” said junior Eric Lundberg, the club’s secretary. “We party together. We do everything together. They’re awesome.”\nSophomore Andy McClure said he feels the same way. \n“I came back this year because I made a lot of friends, and it’s a really good time,” he said.\nCaptain and junior John McSorley has played volleyball for the club during all three of his years at IU. Just last year, he was voted the club’s president and is in charge of the paperwork and travel plans for his team. \nBut the paperwork isn’t what brings McSorley back; it’s the love of the game.\n“I like the competition. We go to about four tournaments a year, and we travel a lot,” McSorley said. “Nationals are in Dallas this year, and we went to (Las) Vegas last year, so it’s something different.”\nPlaying for the team isn’t always fun and games, members said. There is still work to be done. Time management is a challenge the players face every week. \n“There are days when you have to manage your time well,” McSorley said. “We get out of practice at 11 (p.m.), and we missed almost a full week of school to go to Nationals in (Las) Vegas last year, so for the most part, you have to like what you do.” \nMcClure said involvement on the team has forced him to learn to plan ahead for classes.\n“Sometimes it’s stressful if we have a tournament and then an exam the next week,” McClure said. “You learn to budget your time.” \nIU alumni and past club presidents of the men’s team come back to help coach and play every year. McSorley said it speaks well for the team that the men still come back to play and remain close.\nMcSorley said students don’t necessarily have to be experienced volleyball players to be in the club. Tryouts are open to anyone with an interest. The club has two separate teams, so it tries to take the majority of people who come to tryouts. \n“Most of the guys have played in high school, but this is the first time for some of them, so we don’t want to turn people away if they want to play,” McSorley said.