Sexy Tunes, Sexy Time

Raise your hand if this has ever happened to you: You’re on your first date with the guy or girl of your dreams. Everything is going magically and the two of you are smitten kittens – you might as well be sending notes back and forth to each other asking, “Do you like me? Circle yes or no.” The two of you finally make it back to your date’s house where things start to get steamy and you are finally whisked away to the bedroom for a little rub and tickle.\nAs you wait restlessly on the bed, your date pokes around on his iTunes to find the perfect tracks to serenade your budding romance. And as your date finally crawls into bed next to you, the answer to a question you had just been asking yourself appears like a light bulb in your head.\nThe question: Why is this person still single?\nThe answer: Your date just tried seducing you to Phil Collins Greatest Hits album. Oh, I cringe at the thought.\nWe’ve all been there. (Except maybe virgins. I hear virgins love Su Su Sudio.) But nothing is a bigger mood-killer than bad music.\nAs I have always said, music has the ability to change any environment – and this certainly holds true in the bedroom. Imagine getting frisky to Coldplay. (I’m sure this would involve a room full of vanilla-scented candles and the missionary position.) Now imagine switching over to a little Wu-Tang. Does the same image pop into your head? Doubtful.\nNow, I’m not making the argument that music is absolutely necessary when you’re rounding those bases – there is something to say about the sound of silence, and it certainly has a time and place. I just don’t think it should be every time you’re in the bedroom. And it’s not that I think most people are opting for this quiet consciously, the culprit is probably just laziness. (But if you’re lazy with the tunes, I can imagine what else you may be lazy about ...)\nSo my advice is not actually to create a sex playlist, for use with all your future endeavors – rather, multiple sex playlists would be ideal.\nThere could be the kinky playlist (Prince and The Faint), the romantic playlist (Sufjan Stevens and Alicia Keys) and the I-hope-this-guy-doesn’t-call-me-tomorrow playlist (Nickelback and Yanni) – really, the choices are endless.\nWho knows? Maybe you’ll even discover your own sex song. My roommate’s is the song “Brown Skin” by India. Arie (which, if played for me, would turn me off faster than a show-and-tell of my date’s stuffed animal collection). But he still claims that it works magic.\nAlso, my other roommate chooses to indulge herself, if you will, while listening to Interpol’s “Turn On the Bright Lights” album. (Obviously, sex playlists can also function when you’re the only one involved. Who ever said you couldn’t woo yourself?)\nFor my roomies, these are the jams that really wet their whistle and, in turn, wet their partner’s whistle, enhancing the sexual experience on the whole.\nLet’s face it, we’re in college and our sexual activity is plentiful, but often awkward. Just think of your sex playlist as lubrication – it’s so easy to put on while making it so much easier to get off.\nSo run, don’t walk, to the nearest laptop to compile your tunes, and you’ll be harder, better, faster and stronger before you know it.