IU student dies in car crash Monday

Sophomore remembered for spirit, charisma

Rachael James, sophomore

Sophomore Rachel James was described as a person who could always make others laugh. \nShe was the girl with the smile on her face who could always put a smile on other’s faces, said sophomore Katie Avers.\nOn Monday night, James, a Bloomington native, was involved in a fatal car accident on US 231 North after losing control of her vehicle.\nAccording to police reports, first responders arrived on the scene after James’ 1998 Plymouth Voyager crossed the center line of US 231 North and ran into the car of Clark Jackson, 50. Both were rushed to St. Clare Hospital where it was discovered that James suffered severe internal injuries, and was then transported to Methodist Hospital where she was later pronounced dead. Jackson was released from St. Clare Tuesday.\nThe cause of the accident is not yet known, but weather conditions might have played a part, according to the police report.\nAt IU, James was involved in the IU theatre department. \n“She was the girl you always had fun with,” said sophomore Valerie Banakis, a girl who lived on James’ residence hall floor last year. “She was really approachable. I’ll miss her charismatic personality and being able to say hi.”\nJames attended Bloomington North High School and loved watching Duke basketball.\n“Rachel was a really fun person,” Avers said. “She was always up for making the best of things. When my friends and I are at the lake or the quarry, she was always about getting people together.”\nJames lived on South Grant Street with four other women. James’ roommates were informed about the accident just after midnight on Tuesday and were informed of her death at about 2:15 a.m. James had friends in California, Chicago and at Penn State who have also been notified.\n“It’s been really eerie calling our friends,” Avers said. “Everyone’s been very hesitant in being the bearer of bad news. We’ve all been talking on the phone and texting each other.”\nJames’ family members, who were notified of her death Tuesday, recently moved to Scotland and won’t be arriving in the U.S. until Wednesday, Avers said.\n“She was always the girl, if all of us were hanging out, she’d start gabbing and make everyone laugh and say things only Rachel would say,” Avers said. “She was always there as a shoulder to cry on. It will be hard this summer not having her around, but we’ll have each other.”\nAvers said the funeral service will be on Friday, but the time is not yet known.