IU back on track, beats Northwestern

Jacob Kriese

The IU men’s basketball team escaped Assembly Hall with a 75-63 victory over Northwestern Sunday afternoon, ending a two-game losing skid.\nThe No. 11 Hoosiers (18-3, 7-1) started off slow, but switched to a zone defense that sparked a 23-16 run midway through the second half, propelling IU to the 12-point win in a game that was much closer than the final score indicated.\nIU coach Kelvin Sampson said switching to the zone at the 10:50 mark of the second half helped stop a hot-shooting Northwestern team.\n“We were able to dictate their shots,” Sampson said. “It’s hard to get them out of their offense.”\nThe Hoosiers have struggled on the defense end for most of the season, but have shown glimpses of improved play during stretches the past few games. Freshman guard Eric Gordon said the defensive effort improved after halftime.\n“Second half, we played with a lot more energy and effort on defense,” Gordon said. “It’s all a mind-set for the players. It’s obvious what we have to do.”\nThe duo of Gordon and senior forward D.J. White led the way for the Hoosiers. Gordon scored a game-high 29 points on 8-14 shooting from the field, adding four assists and four rebounds along with a good defensive performance. White recorded his 14th double-double of the season with 26 points and 13 rebounds.\n“I know coach Sampson doesn’t think this is a two man team, and it’s not,” Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said. “But those two guys killed \nus today.”\nBoth teams played little defense in the first half as the Hoosiers and Wildcats struggled to keep each other off the scoreboard. Northwestern played an almost-perfect opening half offensively, shooting 63.6 percent from the field including 7-9 from beyond the arc. A steal leading to a breakaway layup for Northwestern guard Jeremy Nash gave the Hoosiers a slim 40-37 lead at the end of the first half.\n“Their offense was clicking in the beginning,” Gordon said. \nAfter the team’s worst offensive output of the season last Thursday against Wisconsin, Sampson said the offensive effort was better this game, especially against a tough Northwestern zone.\n“Our execution was a lot better,” Sampson said. “That isn’t an easy team to score against.”\nIn a surprise move, junior forward Kyle Taber earned his first career start Sunday. The Evansville, Ind., native logged 24 minutes, recording four rebounds and a block in the process. Taber entered the contest against the Wildcats averaging 4.4 minutes per game.\nSampson said in his weekly meeting with the media that the team needed improved play from the power forward position. He said Taber gives the Hoosiers good rebounding and does all the little things well.\n“I thought he did a nice job out there,” Sampson said. “He just has to play his role.”\nFreshman guard Jordan Crawford left the game in the first half with an ankle injury and did not return to action. Sampson said Crawford turned his ankle and didn’t know how long the freshman would be affected.\nThe Hoosiers are back in action Thursday night when IU travels to Illinois to take on the Illini.