Hoosiers face strong field in Central District Invitational

After months of preparations, the IU women’s golf team tees off and opens the spring season today. \nFor the first time since Oct. 30 the Hoosiers will be back in regular-season action as they head to the two-day Central District Invitational in Parrish, Fla. \nIU coach Clint Wallman said the long layoff could be problematic for the Hoosiers. \n“It will be a good challenge for us coming out of the winter break,” Wallman said in \na statement. \nHowever, IU sophomore Kellye Belcher is confident rust won’t be a problem. \n“I think it will be a really good tournament,” Belcher said. “I think we’re gonna do really well down here and I don’t think it being the first tournament of the year has an effect.” \nIU will face a strong field in the invitational, as 10 teams ranked in the top 50 will compete this weekend. The top-ranked team in the tournament is No. 15 Kent State, followed by in-state rival No. 20 Notre Dame. The Hoosiers are ranked 47th. \nWallman said the teams competing are very strong. \n“The level of competition is pretty good (and) the best teams in the central region (will be playing) highlighted by Notre Dame, Michigan State, Texas A&M and Kent State. It is pretty top-heavy,” Wallman said in a statement. \nDuring the fall season the Hoosiers played well, finishing in the top 3 four times in five tournaments. \nIU was led individually during the fall season by sophomore Laura Nochta who placed in the top 10 three times in five tournaments and carded the highest individual finish of any IU player when she placed second at the Wolverine Invitational Sept. 30. Nochta’s performance during the fall season garnered her IU’s top individual national ranking of 155th. \nNochta will lead the Hoosiers in the Central District Invitational along with Belcher, sophomore Anita Gahir and seniors Lauren Harling and Elaine Harris. \nBelcher said she thinks the team has a chance of coming out on top, but even if they don’t the Hoosiers will have learned something in the process. \n“We have a chance to win in any tournament but I think we’re going to go down there and work on what we have worked on during the offseason and see how it goes,” Belcher said.