Hoosiers drop big road contest at Minnesota

IU loses 5th straight away from Assembly Hall

The IU women’s basketball team (16-13, 9-8), in need of a win to boost its NCAA tournament chances, dropped a crucial road game at Minnesota (19-10, 10-7), 69-54, on Thursday night marking the team’s fifth straight road loss. \nThe Hoosiers were riding high after a 69-61 overtime upset over No. 20 Ohio State on Monday night, but was unable to earn its first win at Minnesota since 2001.\nThe Hoosiers defeated the Golden Gophers 80-77 in double- overtime on Jan. 17 at Assembly Hall, but this game wasn’t nearly as close. The Hoosiers trailed 39-23 at halftime and found themselves down by as many as 22 points in the second half. \nIU began the game cold from the field and continued its poor shooting throughout the game. The Hoosiers went 7-of-24 from the field in the first half and finished the game 15-of-51 overall, including a 4-of-20 from the 3-point line.\nSophomore guard Jamie Braun led the way for IU with 16 points and junior guard Kim Roberson added 13 points. Junior forward Amber Jackson chipped in with nine. \nEmily Fox led the Golden Gophers with 20 points. On senior night at Minnesota, the Golden Gophers’ lone senior, Leslie Knight, turned in an impressive performance, finishing with 19 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. After the game, IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack congratulated Knight on her career.\n“She played basketball well both times she played us,” she said. “I wish her all the best.”\nBoth teams struggled handling the ball. IU turned the ball over 21 times while forcing Minnesota into 23 turnovers. Minnesota won the battle on the boards, 39-30. \nIU has two wins over top 20 opponents on the season, but before the game, Legette-Jack said the Hoosiers would need to finish strong in their final two games if they wanted to solidify their case for an NCAA tournament bid.\nAfter missing an opportunity in Minnesota, IU will look to bounce back when they host Penn State on Sunday at Assembly Hall in the final regular season game of the year.