No. 9 Hoosiers roar past Nittany Lions

IU extends home winning streak to 27 games

Penn St Indiana Basketball

For 32 minutes Sunday afternoon, Penn State would not go away.\nThe Nittany Lions’ three-point shooting and their pesky zone defense kept the dynamic Hoosier offense in check for most of the contest. But in the end, it was not enough as the No. 9 Hoosiers prevailed, 81-65.\nDespite missing All-Big Ten senior Geary Claxton, who suffered a season-ending left knee injury earlier in the week, Penn State played the Hoosiers close deep into the second half. A two-pronged attack of Jamelle Cornley and Talor Battle, along with excellent three-point shooting, pulled the IU lead to just 58-56 with eight minutes remaining in the game.\nA made free throw from senior forward D.J. White at the 8:27 mark in the second half sparked a 23-9 IU run to close the game. White finished the game with 22 points and freshman guard Eric Gordon led the Hoosiers in scoring with 25. Sophomore guard Armon Bassett came off the bench to add 18.\nWhite, along with Gordon and junior guard/forward Jamarcus Ellis, led the Hoosiers offensively during the crucial stretch. \n“It was a stretch where we needed to pick it up,” White said. “We needed someone to step up.”\nThe run capped an almost perfect half of basketball by the Hoosiers, as the team shot 63 percent from the field and committed just four turnovers. IU coach Kelvin Sampson did not make a single substitution in the second half, staying with White, Gordon, Ellis, Bassett and senior forward Lance Stemler on the court.\n“Second half in terms of execution, moving the ball, shots -- it’s as good as we’ve played all year,” Sampson said.\nPenn State was unable to match the offensive output of the Hoosiers down the stretch, Penn State coach Ed DeChellis said.\n“I thought we played pretty good for 30 minutes… and then we missed some critical shots that we need to make,” DeChellis said.\nThe Hoosiers picked up their defensive effort in the second half, led by the example of Ellis. The reigning National Junior College Player of the Year locked down Penn State’s perimeter attack and finished with 12 points, eight assists, five rebounds and three steals. \n“I think it all started with our defense,” Ellis said. “I think we started to pick it up in the last seven minutes of the game.”\nIU has not been as consistent on the defensive end as last year’s team, but has the potential to be a very good defensive team, according to Sampson.\n“We are not as good defensively as we were last year because of (former IU guard) Earl Calloway,” Sampson said. “The thing I’ve noticed with this team is that we are good defensively when we have to be. But we are improving.”\nWith the win, the Hoosiers extend its home winning streak to 27 games. In addition, the win also enabled Sampson to break former IU coach Branch McCracken’s home winning streak to start a career at 26 games. \nSampson credited the fans and the players for the wins, saying the crowd has carried the team to victory in several games during his brief career at IU.\nThe team has made protecting home court a priority since Sampson’s arrival, White said.\n“We believe every time we step on this court we should win,” White said.