No. 11 Hoosiers face tough road test against No. 13 Wisconsin in Madison

The No. 11 IU men’s basketball team will face its toughest road challenge to date when it takes on Wisconsin today.\nThe Hoosiers own a perfect 4-0 road record this season, but Wisconsin’s Kohl Center has been one of the toughest places for a road team to win in the nation during Badger coach Bo Ryan’s tenure in Madison.\nThe Badgers own a 103-6 home record during Ryan’s seven seasons as head coach. More impressive is that Ryan has only lost two Big Ten conference games in that span, both times to Illinois.\nThe Hoosiers have come close to winning in Madison during the Ryan era, falling 62-60 in a closely contested game in the 2004-2005 season under former coach Mike Davis.\nIU coach Kelvin Sampson will make his first visit to the Kohl Center because the Hoosiers did not play at Wisconsin last season. Like any road game, Sampson said the key to success Thursday night is rebounding.\n“One thing that can’t not be there on the road is rebounding,” Sampson said during the weekly Big Ten teleconference. “You have to rebound to win on the road.”

BASSETT PLAY HELPS HOOSIER BACKCOURT\nDuring the past three games, sophomore guard Armon Bassett has given the Hoosiers another scoring option outside the duo of freshman guard Eric Gordon and senior forward D.J. White.\nBassett is averaging 14.3 points per game during the last three contests, connecting on 13 of 16 3-point attempts during that stretch. The sophomore led the Hoosiers with 18 points in Saturday’s loss to Connecticut.\n“The thing about his percentage is his shot selection,” Sampson said. “He only shoots when he is open. When we do execute, he comes off the screens ready to shoot.”\nWhile he has been slowed down by bone chips in his ankle, Bassett has only missed two games because of the injury this season. He did not participate in practice toward the beginning of the injury, but now is back for practices and games.\nThe hard work and perseverance through pain is paying off, Sampson said.\n“He is more comfortable in his role, but he works at it,” he said.

SAMPSON WEIGHS IN ON STUDENT CHANTS\nSampson posted a letter to fans Tuesday encouraging good sportsmanship at Assembly Hall as the Hoosiers make a run at the Big Ten Championship.\nThe letter was a reaction to Saturday’s home loss to Connecticut where student-led chants of “Bullshit” and “Fuck you, ref” filled Assembly Hall toward the end of the contest.\n“We’re going to keep winning at home with you behind us – and, our team needs not only your loyal support, but also your commitment to good sportsmanship,” Sampson said in the letter posted on www.iuhoosiers.com.\nSampson encouraged fans to cheer passionately, but to be respectful to both the officials and the opposing team.\n“We should always remember to treat opposing teams and game officials with dignity and class,” Sampson said. “Root for the Hoosiers, not against the other team, and please don’t use profanity – make Assembly Hall shake with noise and enthusiasm like only you can!”