Let the refs know when they are wrong

Over the PA system at Assembly Hall, I heard a muffled reminder. Fan’s use of profane language could result in a technical foul on the home team.\nTalk about an empty threat.\nA better message to send over the PA system would be, “We’d like to take this time to remind the officiating crew that your main objectives are to be fair, consistent and most importantly, to maintain control over the game.”\nThat means the elbows, jersey grabbing and blatant traveling calls missed all need to be called to keep control. If not, someone needs to remind the refs that they aren’t Tim Donaghy, that they have a job to do and that they aren’t doing a satisfactory job. \nUsually, that someone ends up being the fans. Being someone who has been called for a technical foul for criticizing referees in every single intramural basketball game I’ve played this year, I’ll be the first to let the zebras know when they are wrong.\nBut we, as educated IU students, can do better. We can come up with a more creative way to display frustration than the usual “bullshit” chant. We can probably come up with more appropriate ways to boo while still keeping this family event PG.\nNext time you’re at the game, cheer your head off to let the refs know when they make a mistake. Just make sure that “earmuffs” aren’t needed for the young ones.