Impact of student voters questioned by analysts

LOS ANGELES – In a presidential election filled with more than enough candidates and debates, a key factor in the outcome will be the participation of youth voters. While youth voters played large roles in the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary, some political analysts doubt the same overall participation in the other 48 states.\nAnalysts are doubtful because youth voter participation has declined overall from 1972 to 2004, according to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement. While it has increased in some years, it is overall still less than it was in 1972. The turnout of youth voters, however, is expected to increase in this election.\n“Young voters are changing the dynamic of this election, and candidates are trying to respond,” said Kareem Crayton, an assistant professor of law and political science.\nCandidates have responded with more individual contact and by discussing issues that have become important to younger voters.\n“The economy directly involves younger voters because it encompasses issues like affordable college loans,” Crayton said. “The war in Iraq directly involves younger voters because many of the soldiers over there are under 30.”\nMedia coverage has also changed, with more Internet campaigning, including Web-only debates sponsored by YouTube and Facebook.\nIn addition to campaigning on Internet sites frequented by younger voters, candidates are frequenting areas where they can meet individual voters face-to-face.\nSen. Barack Obama delivered a speech at University of Southern California’s Doheny Memorial Library in October 2006 that was attended by celebrity Ben Affleck.