Farmers’ Market seeking adviser

Dealing with local policy matters and the overall satisfaction of public facility operations will be among the duties given to a new city adviser. \nThe Farmers’ Market Advisory Council of the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department is still on the lookout for its newest member, who has the opportunity of serving a two-year term with \nthe board. \nAlong with the task of advancing and developing the Bloomington Farmers’ Market, a prospective adviser for the council must be willing to work in an advisory capacity with the Board of Park Commissioners and City Parks and Recreation staff, according to a Parks and Recreation news release. \n“We are currently accepting applications for a farm vendor representative and a customer representative,” said Marcia Veldman, program and facility coordinator for the department. \nThe council also works with other civic groups and governmental agencies in the expansion of Farmers’ Market within the Bloomington community, according to the news release.\n“Most recently, the council has been reviewing changes to the rules governing farm vendor participation in the market and offering their input,” Veldman said.\nStaff will be seeking input in the coming year on how best to incorporate the B-Line Trail activities with the market, Veldman said. The B-Line Trail is a project seeking to develop an abandoned 3.1-mile rail corrider into a park and trail, according to the city of \nBloomington Parks and Recreation Web site.\nApplications for those interested are due no later than 5 p.m. Feb. 11 in the Bloomington Parks and Recreation office, according to the press release.\nFollowing the final application deadline, staff will make the proposal to the Board of Park Commissioners, who make the final selection for the new member, Veldman said. \nCurrently, the council has nine voting members. Four represent Farmers’ Market vendors and five represent consumers, according to the press release. \nMeetings for the council are held at 5 p.m. the third Monday of each month in City Hall.\nTo request an application, contact Marcia Veldman at 349-3738 or veldmanm@bloomington.in.gov.