Better Business Bureau publishes annual list of rejections, revocations

List includes companies denied accredidations

Fourteen Indiana businesses were denied requests for renewal of accreditation from the Better Business Bureau of Indiana and 41 weren’t admitted at all in 2006.\nThe BBB is a not-for-profit, nationwide organization that offers accreditation to business and provides information on those and other companies to consumers. \n“The Better Business Bureau is comprised of companies that have to maintain our standards,” said Jennifer Kirchhofer, coordinator of advertising review for the Indiana bureau. “It’s important for credibility and trust.”\nThose standards vary, but include requiring a business to clearly define the services it provides and that it practices fair business.\nTwo businesses denied accreditation were Land FX and Certified Budget Restoration & Remodelers, both in Indianapolis. Land FX declared in its paperwork with the BBB that it was a leaf, snow and grass removal service, but advertisements for the company declared it provided foreclosure prevention.\nCertified Budget Restoration & Remodelers operated a Web site, myroof.com, that promised free roofing quotes from at least four different businesses. In every case investigated by the BBB, those businesses were owned by Certified Budget Restoration & Remodelers.\nKirchhofer stressed that in every rejection, a certified letter was sent to the businesses to notify them of the threat of action by the BBB. If those letters received no response, then the rejection went before the BBB’s board of directors.\nBusinesses from which the BBB revoked accreditation are Bear Creek Coffee and Kwallity Brick Masonry in Avon, Crete Dawgs in Anderson, Maintenance One in Carmel, Nigh’s Construction in Manila, and Blue Haven Pools, Waterscape by Landesign, Bob John Roofing & Siding, Comfort Inn & Suites West, Credit Bureau of Indianapolis, Economy Fence Company, Employment One and Land FX, all in \nIndianapolis.