Alpha Epsilon Pi closed for 2 years for hazing violations

The IU chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity was closed today after the University found they violated a hazing regulation.\nDean of Students Dick McKaig announced in a press release that after consulting with the national headquarters of Alpha Epsilon Pi and alumni and student officers from the group.\nThe Campus Student Organization Ethics Board conducted a hearing in November and made a recommendation to McKaig, according to the press release. The board found the chapter in violation of the Student Organization Code which prohibits hazing. The code defines hazing as "any conduct that subjects another person, whether physically, mentally, emotionally, or psychologically, to anything that may endanger, abuse, degrade or intimidate the person as a condition of association with a group or organization, regardless of the person''s consent or lack of consent."\nMcKaig said in the release that the decision was difficult considering the fraternity''s many contributions to campus since it was first chartered in 1958.\n"But the Student Organization Ethics Board was clear about its recommendation, and the circumstances certainly warrant this action," he said in the release.\nThe expulsion takes effect immediately and the University no longer recognizes the chapter as a campus organization, according to the press release. The members will not be permitted to participate in University-sponsored activities, such as Little 500, under the name Alpha Epsilon Pi.\nThe chapter will remain closed for two years.