Defining a Hoosier

In becoming a true Hoosier fan, each one us will travel along our own road of important sporting events and players that define the way we view the Crimson and Cream. It is an individualized path that leads one to IU fandom, filled with common road markers and personal detours. \nThe following are the top five Hoosier sporting events that have helped shape me as an IU sports fan. I hope that I share some of the same moments with my fellow Hoosier faithful.\n \n1. Maryland defeats IU 64-52 in the 2002 NCAA Tournament Men’s Basketball Championship Game\nOf the most amazing rides and bitter defeats ever witnessed by IU faithful, the Hoosiers’ run at the 2002 national championship is among the greatest. On the shoulders of Tom Coverdale, IU won five tournament games only to be denied in the championship against a bigger, more powerful Maryland team. The run still serves as one of the moments of glory the Hoosier nation longs to witness again. Sitting in front of the television, the run left me in awe of IU sports.\n \n2. Purdue defeats IU 63-24 in the 2004 Old Oaken Bucket Game\nI am from Lafayette, Ind., and grew up about 15 minutes from the Purdue University campus. \nWhen I returned home for my first Old Oaken Bucket Game since becoming a Hoosier, I was excited to finally be cheering for the other side, since I was never really been inspired by Purdue football. The thumping the Hoosiers received that day, while expected, forever pitted me against the university in my hometown. I better understand the rivalry because of it.\n \n3. IU defeats UC Santa-Barbara 3-2 on PKs in the 2004 NCAA Men’s Soccer Championship Game\nThe first realization of championship-caliber play for any sports fan is an ecstatic moment that should live on in one’s mind for the rest of one’s life. I was a freshman in the first semester of my college career when the Hoosiers took home their second consecutive championship this time under the tutelage of IU coach Mike Freitag. The subsequent partying by Hoosiers across campus as a result was euphoric (if you spent time amongst sports fans as I did). Since then, we have longed for another bite of the championship pie.\n \n4. The 2007 Little 500\nAs far as IU history and campus unity, there is no event to match the annual Little 500 bicycle race. In 2007, I was given the unique opportunity to spend time in the presence of the race coordinators, riders and coaches as a member of the media and was truly enriched by the experience. There are few things like being on the inside of the track looking out at the spectacle that is race day. I will never forget the opportunity I received to learn about the deeper meaning of the IU tradition.\n \n5. IU defeats Purdue 27-24 in the 2007 Old Oaken Bucket Game\nElation is the only word I can think of to describe the feeling in a packed Memorial Stadium as the 49-yard field goal by Austin Starr sailed through the uprights for the winning score in the Hoosiers’ victory. The storied season of the Hoosiers, beginning with the loss of Terry Hoeppner and ending with Starr’s golden kick, has been extended to fulfill the late coach’s dream of playing in a bowl game. On Dec. 31, IU will meet Okalahoma State in the Insight Bowl and finally play 13.