1,701 undergraduates, graduates prepare for Saturday ceremony

Commencement will be first for IU’s 18th president

On Saturday, approximately 1,701 students will graduate in IU-Bloomington’s winter commencement ceremony.\nThe 178th graduation ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. in Assembly Hall, with the procession of the graduates beginning at 9:15 a.m.\n John Chambers, the chairman and CEO of Cisco Systems will give the commencement address, according to a press release. A highly honored businessman, Chambers is a philanthropist and humanitarian, as well as an international leader in information technology. Chambers is also a 1975 graduate from of IU’s Kelley School of Business with a Master of Business Administration degree in finance and management.\nThe winter graduation ceremony will be IU President Michael McRobbie’s first ceremony since becoming IU’s 18th president in July. Both undergraduates and graduate students are included in the 1,701 students eligible to participate in graduation. \n“Graduation is an occasion to recognize the achievements of our newest graduates,” McRobbie said in a press release. “We honor them at this ceremony and wish them success in the future. But commencement day doesn’t belong only to them. It also celebrates the family and friends who have supported our graduates along the way. None of us reaches our highest goals without those who love, encourage and support us.” \nAccording to a press release, Chambers will also receive an honorary Doctor of Science degree, conferred by McRobbie, at the graduation ceremony. \nAfter granting this honorary degree to Chambers, McRobbie will deliver a charge to the graduating class, according to a press release. With assistance from Karen Hanson, provost and executive vice president of the IU Bloomington campus, McRobbie will confer degrees to the students. \nMatthew Brunner, a doctoral candidate in the IU Jacobs School of Music, will conduct the IU Commencement Ensemble, providing the processional and recessional accompaniment for the ceremony. Jacobs School of Music Dean Gwyn Richards will lead the graduates and audience in singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” and “Hail to Old IU.”