President speaks to crowd in New Albany

James Brosher

NEW ALBANY, Ind. – President Bush announced that he signed a defense spending bill Tuesday morning, ensuring U.S. troops have “the full support of the federal government,” during a speech he gave at The Grand Convention Center in New Albany, Ind. During the same speech, he said he also vetoed another bill aimed at funding labor, health, human services and education because it was nearly $10 billion over budget. \n“If (Congress) insist(s) on trying to raise taxes on the American people, I will not hesitate to use my veto pen to stop them,” he said.\nThe speech was hosted by One Southern Indiana, the combined Chamber of Commerce and economic development organization for Clark and Floyd counties.\nIn his speech, Bush said he is focused on reducing government spending, cutting taxes and supporting the U.S. military. ThePresident repeatedly chastised Congress for attempting to raise taxes to support what he said is unnecessary spending.\nThe President also accused Congress of attempting to create government solutions to financial situations he said he believes would be better left in the hands of citizens.\n“My philosophy is that the American people know how to spend their money better than the government can,” Bush said. \nHe said the Democrat-controlled Congress disagrees with him, which is hurting Americans financially.\n“So far, (Congress is) acting like a teenager with a new credit card,” he said. “They believe in a federal solution to every problem. Somehow, that solution always seems to include raising taxes.” \nBush received applause from the crowd throughout the speech, but he received a standing ovation when he stressed the importance of fully funding the military overseas.\n“I don’t want our kids in uniform to think the President is playing politics with their lives,” he said.\nMike Sodrel, Republican candidate for Indiana’s 9th District congressional race, said he was impressed with the President’s speech. \nSodrel said he thought the President touched on all of the most important parts of the federal budget and economy. \n“If you look at the record, the (President’s) tax reductions actually created an increase in federal revenue,” he said.\nSodrel said he was especially impressed with Bush’s figures on reducing the budget deficit, though he acknowledged the national debt remains high.\nYet, Bush’s visit was not without its opponents. \nBaron Hill, the Democratic incumbent in the 9th District race, issued a public statement via e-mail after the speech. In the statement, Hill called the passing of the defense bill “a good first step,” but said he was disappointed in Bush’s veto of a bill he thought was critical to education, health and labor.\n“I am very disappointed in the President’s resistance to working with Congress,” he said in the statement. “I realize we have our differences and conflicting priorities, yet for the sake of the American people we must make progress.”\nJohn Sodrel, who said he was Mike Sodrel’s cousin, stood outside during Bush’s speech with a small group of protesters. He said that while he does not support the President’s economic policies, Bush’s treatment of the War in Iraq was more important to him.\n“President Bush has been a disaster since day one,” he said.\nBush’s speech lasted a little more than 25 minutes, after which the President took time to shake hands with some of the crowd before the Secret Service rushed him away. He was scheduled to leave from the Louisville International Airport on Tuesday afternoon.