Local music: The never-ending summer

DJ Flufftronix Summer Transit Insanity Grade: B+

The beginning of DJ Flufftronix's fun-in-the-sun mixtape Summer Transit Insanity Mix says it all: Obscure indie quintet Fields introduces the compilation with angst-y acoustic-guitar strumming accompanied by Geto Boys' "Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangster" sarcastically laid over the top. \nIt's an unexpected introduction to a dance mix, but it's the kind of quirky juxtaposition that, at the end of this 28-minute super-track, you come to expect from the Bloomington-based disc spinner.\nFlufftronix -- though his friends just call him Michael -- is one of the masterminds behind a burgeoning laptop DJ movement that's been making hips gyrate all over Bloomington. Graphic designer by day, disc jockey by night, Young Fluff is a man about town, appearing weekly at Jake's as part of party-franchise Daft Crunk (you get it) and making cameos anywhere rugs are cut. \nFluffy knows how to get his listeners moving, too. After four minutes of clowning on Summer Transit, Fluff Daddy gets down to business, moving seamlessly from a touchy-feely Peter Gabriel ballad to a synthesizer-rich re-work of Lil Mama's middle-school anthem "Lip Gloss": "My lip gloss is poppin' / My lip gloss is cool / All the boys keep jockin' / They chase me after school," the sassy jail-bait MC spits as Flufftronix deftly shifts into overdrive.\nThe rest of the mix packs equal parts bump and grind but from some unexpected (and some completely unheard of) sources. Fluff breathes new life into '80s rockers INXS, pitting their number-one hit "Need You Tonight" against some song called "Minuit Jacuzzi" by some French dance outfit named TEPR.\nThough the messengers vary from gangster rappers to rock 'n' roll icons to esoteric DJs, Fluffy's message is clear by the sixth minute of Summer Transit: "Shake shake shake shake shake / People on the dance floor sweat." Flufftronix makes it feel like July in November, packing enough heat to brave the cold and enough smirk-inspiring mash-ups to ward off seasonal depression.