Last-Word lounge

What everyone is talking about this WEEKEND

"Super Mario Galaxy":

The highly anticipated Mario video game for Nintendo Wii hits stores Tuesday, Nov. 12. In it, gamers can navigate their favorite overalled plumber around complex new worlds with their motion-sensitive remotes. The YouTube teasers look promising and make WEEKEND reminisce about playing "Super Mario 64" back in the gold ol' days of 64-bit entertainment systems.

"Hip-Hop Live" concert:

The hip-hop supershow featuring Brother Ali, Rakim, Ghostface Killah and live band Rhythm Roots Allstars graces the Bluebird stage Wednesday, Nov. 13. A hip-hop show and a live band? This show should not be missed.

Top Ten Movie Soundtracks:

We all love lists, and Vanity Fair's list of the Top Ten Movie Soundtracks Of All Time is no exception. Purple Rain, A Hard Day's Night and The Harder They Come grabbed the top three spots. The list is pretty solid top to bottom, but the Forrest Gump and Garden State soundtracks are noticeably omitted. Honestly, how are those two soundtrack classics not better than the disco Saturday Night Fever soundtrack?

Early Christmas decorations:

Now that Halloween is over, retailers all over town have wasted no time stocking their shelves with garland, tinsel, lights on strings and fake Christmas trees. Shouldn't we be spared all this holiday hoopla until, well, the holidays?

"Sweeney Todd":

Tim Burton's latest film, scheduled for release early next year, is a musical about a homicidal barber wreaking havoc on the streets of London. Whenever Johnny Depp and Burton collaborate (save the painful "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"), expect gold. Also, who knew Johnny Depp could sing?