IU heads to Muncie to play Ball State

Brandon Foltz

Two games into the young season, the IU women’s basketball team will travel to Muncie to take on the Ball State Cardinals in the Hoosiers’ first road game of the year. The Hoosiers are 2-0 after home wins over Albany and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. \nLeading the way for the Hoosiers so far this season is junior forward and transfer Amber Jackson, who dropped 22 points in her Hoosier debut against Albany and followed that with a 12 point, nine rebound performance against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Junior forward Whitney Thomas has also come on strong in the early going, notching 21 points and nine rebounds against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. \nThe buzz word for the Hoosiers all year has been youth – they have six freshmen and only one senior. This is the first road test the newcomers will have to face since coming to IU, and it won’t be easy. \nBall State is 1-1 on the season, with a win on the road against Wright State and a home loss to No. 22 Louisville. Leading the Cardinals on the floor this season is sophomore guard Audrey McDonald, who averages 13.5 points per game. Senior forward Lisa Rusche also averages 12 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. \nThe Hoosiers have struggled mightily this season with turnovers. They had 17 against Albany and 22 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said after Tuesday’s game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff that holding onto the ball is something the Hoosiers would work on in practice before traveling to Ball State. \nThe Hoosiers have also struggled with shooting early in the season. They shot 37 percent from the floor and 68 percent from the line against Albany, and 43 percent from the floor and 60 percent from the charity stripe against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. However, against the latter opponent, things markedly improved, as IU shot 61 percent from the floor and 79 percent from behind the arc in the first half before cooling off in the second frame. \nBall State is the last opponent the Hoosiers will play on the American mainland until Nov. 30. They travel to the Virgin Islands for three games – Wake Forest, Wichita State and Texas A&M – from Nov. 22-24.