Instant replay ball!

I have options this week.\nThere was Adrian Peterson’s record-breaking performance, there were some amazing, stupid quotes by football players, there were NBA games out the wazoo and there was even some NHL news ... at least, I think there is still an NHL.\nBut of all these things, baseball is making the most noise by finally doing something right.\nI’m not talking about Joe Torre going to the Dodgers or A-Rod denying $350 million. Rather, I’m talking about the general managers recommending for the first time Tuesday that instant replay should be used to help umpires make difficult decisions, mainly with home runs. \nThe proposal, which was approved by 25 of the 30 general managers, was limited to boundary calls. Boundary calls determine whether potential home runs are fair or foul, whether balls go over fences or stay in play or whether fans interfere with possible homers.\nToo bad Steve Bartman didn’t have a replay to help show how stupid he was to his own team. Oh wait, I’m still seeing replays about this.\nBut congrats, baseball, you finally did something right. In the midst of all the steroid allegations, you have overcome a large challenge in the sporting world – cheating. \nThis year alone, Tim Donaghy has been accused of rigging basketball games and the New England Patriots were caught taping other teams’ signals to help win games.\nMany fans are now skeptical of officials’ rulings and of dirty, unethical teams (like the Patriots). Having a review helps ease the minds of the doubters; it makes the games fairer and helps reduce natural human error – and cheating. \nUnfortunately, this is only a proposal and unless Bud Selig approves it and puts it in place, it is merely a recommendation that was left unfulfilled. Hopefully, Bud will realize that this is a good thing and will do what’s in the best interest of the game, which is adding the instant replay.\nThis won’t be a money-making decision. It won’t make me want to watch games any more than I do now. It won’t make one of the most boring games exciting.\nBut it will help. As a non-baseball fan but overall sports fan, I will feel more at ease knowing that one of our major sporting leagues is trying to do the right thing. Because right now, I don’t always think our big sports commissioners are on the right track.\nNBA commissioner David Stern has been doing the best he can, but he’s leading a group of degenerates and a group of “rogue” individual refs. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been power hungry with his suspensions, and he has one of the best football teams in years being blatant cheaters. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is ... well the NHL is still around so I guess he’s doing all right.\nEither way, I hope these replays get put in place. I think the only thing holding them back might be technical difficulties. Of course, all they need to do is get Bill Belichick on the phone because we all know he’s good with a video camera.