Indiana considered for ‘Tornado Alley’ designation

Severe Weather

A recent tornado that damaged homes in Nappanee, Ind., has added fuel to the debate about whether or not Indiana should be included in the list of states comprising “tornado alley.”\nIndiana ranks 15th in the nation for tornado activity, but ranks sixth in the number of fatalities, according to The Associated Press. But many, such as Curtis Smith, chief meteorologist from Indiana’s NewsCenter, are split on whether it is necessary.\nNo harm would be done by putting Indiana on the list of tornado alley states, Smith said, but if one looks at this debate from a weather standpoint, Indiana should not be on the list because it lacks strong tornado activity. Because of the high death tolls in Indiana, Smith said he doesn’t think it’s a bad idea if it would increase the public’s awareness of tornadoes.\nIndiana is situated right outside tornado alley. According to the National Weather Service Web site, tornado alley includes North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and a portion of Colorado.\nStephen Strader, sophomore and atmospheric science major, thinks because of where Indiana is situated and its fluctuating weather, Indiana should be on the list. \n“Indiana sits right in an area of clashing cold and warm fronts,” Strader said. “We get hot air from the Gulf of Mexico and cool air from Canada. When those fronts combine, it’s a breeding ground for tornadoes.”\nAlthough Indiana doesn’t get “supercell” tornadoes like some other states, there are enough occurrences to raise concern for public safety, Smith said.\nIndiana has experienced 451 tornadoes that caused 405 deaths since 1830, according to the National Weather Service’s Web site. Two of those have been categorized as F5s, the most severe type of tornado.\n“Adding Indiana to the list might only make a small difference in the outcome of a tornado,” Smith said, “but if we’re talking about property and lives here than I think a small difference is worth it.”