Hoosiers lose 2 of 3 over holiday break

IU returns from Virgin Islands with 4-2 record

Texas A&M Indiana College Basketball

The IU women’s basketball team spent Thanksgiving break in the Virgin Islands for the Paradise Jam Tournament. The Hoosiers lost two out of three games on the trip, bringing their record to 4-2. \nIU opened the tournament Thursday with a 55-53 loss to Wake Forest. After jumping out to a 33-22 halftime lead, the Hoosiers were unable to hold off the Demon Deacons’ second-half charge. Wake Forest used two separate 9-0 runs to take a 38-36 advantage with 13:30 left in the game. \nAfter trailing by two points, a late layup by junior guard Kim Roberson tied the game at 53-53. Wake Forest’s Corinne Groves followed with two free throws, giving the Demon Deacons the lead for good with 17 seconds remaining. \nSophomore guard Jamie Braun led IU with 17 points, including three 3-pointers. Roberson tied an IU single-game record by recording nine steals. \nAfter the close defeat, the Hoosiers bounced back with a 64-54 win over Wichita State on Friday. Three players scored in double figures for IU. Braun led the way again with 19 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field. Senior guard Nikki Smith added 16 points, including four 3-pointers. Junior forward Whitney Thomas stuffed the scoresheet with 10 points, a career-high seven steals, five rebounds and four assists. \nThe score was tied 29-29 at the half, and Wichita State led 38-33 with 14:03 left in the game. IU responded with an 11-3 run, giving the Hoosiers a 44-41 lead with 10:24 remaining. The Hoosiers held the lead for the rest of the game. \nOn Saturday, IU fell to No. 10 Texas A&M 60-48. The Aggies led 25-22 at halftime and fought off a comeback effort by IU in the second half to earn the double-digit victory.\nBraun scored 14 points and earned Paradise Jam All-Star honors. Thomas had another good all-around performance with 12 points, five rebounds, four steals and three blocks. Junior forward Amber Jackson scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds.\nThe team will return to action Friday at Assembly Hall when it faces Florida State in the Big Ten/ACC challenge.