Dress is factor for success in interviews, expert says

When looking for a job, it’s a good idea to leave those eyebrow rings and ear gauges at home. \nInterview appearance is more important than most of today’s students realize, said Mark Brostoff, associate director for the Kelley School of Business’ Undergraduate Career Services.\n“In an interview, how you present yourself is just as important as how knowledgeable you are,” Brostoff said. \nEven at a career fair or networking event, appearance is crucial. First impressions are important to company recruiters who may have traveled long distances to speak with students, Brostoff said. The amount of time and effort students put into how they look is one way recruiters differentiate students from one another and gauge students’ interest.\nHaving a clean, groomed appearance shows respect for interviewers and recruiters and demonstrates time management skills and attention to detail, he said. \n“(Appearance) is not just a business student’s issue,” Brostoff said. “It affects all students.” \nStudents should be at least as dressed up as their interviewer, if not more so. \nSuits and ties always look professional but are not always necessary, he said. Collared shirts, dress pants and blazers are fitting components of interview attire, while ripped jeans and T-shirts are never appropriate. \nLess is more when it comes to make-up, jewelry, perfume and cologne, he said. He suggested covering tattoos with long-sleeved shirts and long pants if possible. \n“You don’t want (your appearance) to distract a recruiter from getting to know you,” he said. \nSome students echo Brostoff’s emphasis on dressing nicely. \n“(Interview attire) is really important because people go off of first impressions,” junior Swathi Hemachandra said. “People will judge you before you even open your mouth.”\nHemachandra said she typically wears a collared shirt, khaki or black pants and dress shoes to interviews.\nWhen striving to make a good impression, it’s also important to wear dark colors such as navy blue and dark gray and avoid bright patterns, according to the IU Career Development Center’s Web site. \nBrostoff said wearing dark colors is a good rule of thumb; however, the importance of a conservative color scheme varies by industry. An applicant for a position at Macy’s might want to demonstrate his or her fashion sense, in which case it would be appropriate to be more creative with clothing choices, he said.\n“It doesn’t have to look like a funeral,” Brostoff said. \nUnderstanding how to dress professionally is especially difficult for students because the university environment fosters individuality in a way most workplaces do not. Students too often assume that campus norms transfer to their work environments and are surprised when they are expected to conform to workplace standards, he said. \nFor students concerned about expressing their individuality, Brostoff suggests showing personality in other ways. \nStudents can research companies they’re interviewing with to understand the companies’ goals, he said. They can stand out by letting their interviewers know how their personality and skills fit into their company culture, he said. \n“Students shouldn’t be afraid to speak through their clothing as long as it is appropriate,” Brostoff said. “But don’t look too out there.”