Bloomington votes 2007

---8:30 p.m. update---\nShortly after 8 p.m., Republican candidate for mayor David Sabbagh conceded to Democrat incumbent mayor Mark Kruzan. \nIn his concession speech, Sabbagh thanked his wife, Linda, and his campaign supporters.\n"We did everything we could," Sabbagh said. "I don't know what we would do differently except get a few more votes. We have to have a viable opposition. We absolutely cannot be a one-party town."\nThe crowd of about 30 people applauded his efforts in challenging Kruzan.\n"If they don't have a viable opposition to the democrats, then we've given up on Bloomington and we can't do that," Sabbagh said.

---7:37 p.m. update---\nAt the polling place located in Teter Quad for District 15, Tom Duffy, the voting inspector, said the turn-out was “very light.”\nBy 3:30 p.m,, he said the turn-out was “so light we can count ‘em on two hands.”\nDuffy at that itime said they had only 12 voters and 11 were presumably students. There are 886 registered voters in this district.\nAt the fire house on East Third Street, the poll for student residential neighborhoods east of campus, Leslie Scott, a voting inspector, said by the afternoon there had been about only one person come in every half-hour. She said there was a turn-out rate of only about 20 percent.\n“One might think it has to do with student apathy,” Duffy said. “City elections ... (have) no long-term impact for students.”\nMichael Cooper, an IU sophomore, did vote. But he said he voted strictly based on party platform rather than the actual candidates for the mayoral election.\n“There aren’t really a lot of options.”