2007 IU mens soccer team similar to ’03 national champs

History tends to repeat itself – or so the IU men’s soccer team hopes.\nWith their 0-0 tie Sunday in Madison, Wis., the Hoosiers closed out the regular season with a conference record of 4-0-2 and officially clinched the Big Ten regular season title. The last time the Hoosiers ended their conference season undefeated was 2003, when they not only captured the Big Ten regular season title, but also won the Big Ten Tournament and their sixth national championship.\nThat year was both the end and the beginning of an era. It was legendary coach Jerry Yeagley’s last season at the helm and the season before current IU coach Mike Freitag took over\nthe Hoosiers.\nYeagley’s 2003 team ended their regular season 11-3-4. With Sunday’s tie, this season’s Hoosiers finished with a record of 12-4-3 in Freitag’s \nfourth season. \nFreitag said consistent teamwork is crucial to continued success, an attribute he saw in the 2003 team, as well as this \nseason’s squad.\n“The thing that is similar between successful teams is their ability to work as a team,” Freitag said. “The individual comes second and the team comes first. This team has done well. They work together, and they don’t let egos get in \nthe way.”\nThough they have already played 19 games this season, some of the biggest tests still remain for the Hoosiers. Freshman midfielder Rich Balchan said the team is not looking ahead, but expects to do well in the postseason.\n“We got good results in the regular season,” Balchan said. “There’s no reason we can’t do well in the Big Ten Tournament and get a good seed for the NCAAs.”\nBalchan also said it was an honor to be a part of such a successful team in only his first year of college. Junior midfielder Brad Ring shared Balchan’s pride in his team, and noted how much work went into making this \nseason successful.\n“It feels good,” Ring said. “It’s a strong conference, so to come out on top really \nsays something.”\nFreitag said he is also proud of his team’s performance, and he is glad they were able to accomplish one of their goals for the season. However, he pointed out that several goals remain.\n“We’re proud of this season,” Freitag said. “Now it starts. In the NCAAs, you got to get it done. One loss and you’re out.”\nThe Hoosiers will arrive in East Lansing, Mich., later this week for the conference tournament with the No. 1 seed and a first-round bye. They will face either Michigan State or Penn State on Friday.