Police say apprehended suspect is a 27-year-old IU student

Police say they are not aware of any hostages in the building

- 1:48 p.m. Update\nPolice identified the suspected gunman as 27-year-old Jesse M. Sneed, who is an IU student.

- 11:28 a.m. Update\nPolice have taken one person in custody following a lockdown at the 1300 block of West Arch Haven.\nPolice say they apprehended the suspect between 8:15 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., but continued the lockdown of the area until they were sure the man apprehended was the suspect. \nPolice have now cleared the apartment building and have seized two assault rifles - an AK-47 and AR-15 - on the roof of the complex.\nDetectives are continuing the investigation, and police have not yet released the name of the suspect.

- 10:53 a.m. Update\nThe IU campus emergency site released this message at 10:45 a.m.:\n"Bloomington Police assisted by IU Police have cordoned off a building in the vicinity of 2nd and Patterson streets on the west side of the city in response to a report of shots fired. No one is known to have been injured and the threat is believed to be contained within that building. IU Police have determined that there is no danger to anyone outside that immediate area. All activities on the IU campus should continue as normal. The public is urged to stay away from the 2nd and Patterson area until the situation is resolved."

- 10:35 a.m. Update Bloomington Police Department Capt. Joe Qualters said police are still surrounding the area and not letting anyone in or out of the building. \n"It is a very fluid and dynamic situation," Qualters said, "and we need to take caution."\nQualters said when officers first arrived on the scene they observed the suspect on the balcony with a gun.\nIU senior Billy Lockman who was in the building earlier in the day said he awoke to what sounded like gunshots. He said after getting out of bed he heard more rapid gunshots.

- 10:21 a.m. Update\nSeveral resident in the complex where the suspect is surrounded by police have yet to be evacuated, as police are telling them to stay in their rooms. \nBloomington resident John Mehalechko said his son and daughter are in the building, and are being told not to leave. Mehalechko said he heard about the incident on the radio and reached his son and daughter on the phone. He said they are safe and are now just waiting for the situation to be resolved.

- 9:48 a.m. Update\nPolice have surrounded a man in an apartment complex at the 1300 block of West Arch Haven. \nBloomington Police Department Capt. Joe Qualters said they responded after a 911 call at about 7 a.m. today, saying there was a man on the balcony with possibly an assault rifle. A Critical Incident Response Team arrived on scene shortly after and have set up a parameter around the unit and are trying to establish communication with the suspect. \nQualters said they are not aware of any one else other than the suspect in the room. \nPolice are urging anyone in the area to stay inside. \n-- The Indiana Daily Student has reporters on scene and we will bring you updates as they come.

- 9:07 a.m. Update\nThe IU Police Department is assisting Bloomington Police Department in securing the perimeter of a shooting incident in the area of Bloomfield Road and Patterson Street.\nIUPD Capt. Jerry Minger said BPD called his officers over to the area early this morning.\nMinger said the officers have secured the perimeter of the area.\nIU spokesman Larry MacIntyre said the campus is not closed, because the incident was indoors and contained. Minger said IUPD does not plan to heighten security because they believe it to be contained.