Playboy looks for ‘Girls of the Big 10’ at IU

Magazine to hold try-outs for women who want to pose

Playboy magazine will be in Bloomington today and Tuesday in search of women to pose for its “Girls of the Big 10” issue.\n“We are basically looking for the all-around girl next door, someone really bubbly and happy with a lot of school spirit,” said Playboy spokeswoman Tina Manzo. “We want the girl you’d see at your math class on Friday or a girl you’d run into at the bar.” \nPlayboy will visit each of the 11 Big Ten schools to photograph women for the magazine pictorial spread, which will run in the May 2008 issue. Playboy featured four women from IU in their 2003 “Girls of the Big 10” issue. Manzo said the turnout at IU has been good in the past, and they expect around 70 to 150 candidates to try out.\nDuring tryouts, women will go through a mini-interview process with a photographer and take test shots wearing a swimsuit. The photographer, a stylist and an assistant will be present during the tryout. After the initial interview, women who are called back have the option to pose partially or fully nude for the magazine, depending on how comfortable they are, Manzo said. \nThough Playboy is looking for girls who represent IU, University officials do not endorse the try-outs or the issue, Dean of Students Dick McKaig said.\n“Basically, I think the institution’s primary concern is that no property of the University or University trademarks are used,” McKaig said. “Usually these magazines are legally savvy enough to avoid any of that because there is obviously no endorsement or involvement of Indiana University, and we wouldn’t want to be depicted as a sponsor.” \nMcKaig said beyond trademark, it’s an issue of how students choose to represent themselves. \n“I would ask students to be careful, because there might be other implications that come from being in the magazine,” McKaig said. \nManzo said that girls of all different shapes, sizes and hair color are welcome to try out. \n“Appearance-wise, there really isn’t any requirement,” she said. “My advice would be to come with an open mind and really show the photographers that you embody the spirit of your school. Be confident, sexy and sophisticated.”\nParticipants must be 18 years of age and bring a student ID to the interview. Women interested in scheduling an appointment should call 312 315-7342