New SoFA Gallery exhibits to feature contemporary jewelry and holloware through Nov.

Pieces contrast between new and old technologies

Friday night, the SoFA Gallery will open two new exhibits to the public. \nThe first, “Field of Vision: Contemporary Jewelry and Holloware” will showcase the unique and sophisticated works of both national and international artists. The second is “Personal Objects: Personal Spaces,” an exhibit dedicated to everyday objects made personal through computer-aided design, by Nicole Jacquard, an assistant professor of metalsmithing.\nThe establishment of the “Field of Vision” exhibit has been two years in the making. With the help of a jewelry auction last December and the help of several grants, those involved in metalsmithing at IU were able to jumpstart the exhibit this fall.\nCo-curator of the exhibit Sim Luttin said that the metalsmithing department wanted to bring a show like this to IU to show the diversity of metalsmithing and jewelry design, as well as IU’s tradition in the holloware field. The exhibit also pays homage to Alma Eikerman, who started the metalsmithing program at IU and to whom the exhibition is dedicated.\nThe work includes everything from broaches, necklaces and teapots to sculptured vases and more. Luttin and Jacquard said the exhibit will showcase old techniques of metalsmithing and jewelry-making in new ways.\n“Even (with) the new twists that people are taking on with very old traditional techniques, like enameling, there’s some very beautiful work that’s more experimental that’s being done,” Jacquard said.\nLuttin also hopes that aside from influencing people to think about these new techniques and the diversity in the field, the exhibit will inspire students in choosing their artistic field.\nWith the inclusion of acclaimed national and international artists, the exhibit is expected to draw a large crowd both locally, interstate and nationally.\n“We’re really fortunate to have a big gallery space like SoFA Gallery to put this kind of caliber show on,” Luttin said.\nThe idea to combine the two shows was something Jacquard wanted to do to show the contrast between what is being done with traditional material in metalsmithing and what can be done with new technologies like rapid prototyping.\nThe objects in Jacquard’s exhibit include everyday items like dishes, spoons, vases and candlesticks, to name a few. Avoiding mass production with the use of this new technology, all the items are specifically personalized with patterns that each have a sentimental quality to Jacquard. The technology Jacquard uses allows her to print special patterns onto her work. She incorporated prints of Australian money, ticket stubs and certain flowers that she gathered throughout her travels into a collection of sculptured spoons. \nJacquard equates it to the spoon collections people start up when they travel to different locations. \n“A lot of my work has to do with souvenirs, as well as nostalgia and memory and how you remember things,” Jacquard said.\nJacquard hopes her show will open up the world of computers to art students, and show how they can create work meaningful work with the aid of a computer no matter what their discipline.\nBoth exhibits will premiere tonight with a reception at the SoFA Gallery from 7 to 9 p.m. and will be on display through Nov. 17.