Kyle finishes 8th at Roy Griak Invitational to lead IU to 6th place finish in Minneapolis

Women place 19th at same

In their first meet of the season with postseason implications on the line, the IU men’s cross country team placed sixth in a crowded field of 23 teams at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis, Minn.\nLeading the way for the Hoosiers was sophomore All-American Jordan Kyle, who placed eighth in a field of 211 runners and possibly took a step toward running at the national championship next month. \nAlso competing for the men were 10 other runners, who placed between 36th and 189th place. \nThe IU women’s cross country team was not as successful. They placed 19th in a field of 26 teams.\nLeading the way individually for the women was sophomore Sarah Pease, who placed 44th in a field of 258 runners.\nAlso competing for the Hoosiers were six other runners who placed between 100th and 160th place.\nBoth teams return to action Oct. 13, when they compete in the Pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, which will also be the site of the NCAA Championships in November should either team make it that far. This will also be the final tune-up for both teams before postseason play begins with the Big Ten Championships at the end of October in Columbus, Ohio.