IU women hit hardwood for 1st time this year

Junior forward Amber Jackson has participated in late-night basketball practice events before, just not in front of thousands of fans decked out in cream and crimson. \nJackson, a transfer from San Jose State University, said she is expecting a completely different experience when she steps on the floor of Assembly Hall on Friday night for Hoosier Hysteria. \n“We opened the season with a midnight practice at San Jose State, but it was mostly just friends and family in the crowd,” she said. “To go out there in front of 17,000 fans will definitely be new and exciting.”\nHoosier Hysteria marks the first official practice of the season for the women’s team. With a young and promising roster, including seven freshmen, the Hoosiers are looking forward to getting back on the court. \n“I think we’re just excited to get the season started,” junior Whitney Thomas said. “We have some really good incoming players, and we’re just looking to get going.”\nIU has been going through offseason workouts and has used the time to develop team chemistry with the newcomers. \n“I’ve been here since January, and I was here during the summer,” Jackson said. “I’ve had a chance to get to know the players and bond with the rest of the team.”\nThe women’s basketball team will begin its portion of Hoosier Hysteria following the 7 p.m. volleyball match against Michigan State. IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack will address the crowd while the Hoosiers warm up. A three-point shooting contest will follow Jack’s speech, with the winner facing the men’s champion later in the evening. \nSenior Nikki Smith is the reigning champion in the women’s three-point contest and is looking forward to defending her title. \n“It’s always a fun time, because it’s the first competitive event of the year for us,” she said. “Whatever happens, I’m not too worried, but this is my last go-around and hopefully I can make it two years in a row.”\nSmith said she will have some good competition this year from sophomore Jamie Braun and freshmen Andrea McGuirt and Jori Davis. She also said she hopes the champion can take down the men’s winner. \n“It’s always competitive between the girls and the guys,” she said. “The guys have some really good shooters, but I think they might underestimate us a little bit. It should be a really fun event for the crowd.”\nThe Hoosiers know that when they step on the floor, the crowd will share their sense of excitement. \n“Hoosier Hysteria is always pretty crazy,” Smith said. “It’s the one time where most every fan can get a ticket. Even for those who don’t have season tickets, it’s a chance for IU fans to come out and support their two favorite teams. It should be nuts for the new men’s team, and hopefully we can build off of that support.”