IU students participate in 2nd annual torch ride to benefit IUDM and Riley

More than 60 IU students will gear up for the IU Dance Marathon’s second annual torch ride today. The 60-mile bicycle ride, which starts at the Riley Outpatient Center in Indianapolis and ends in Bloomington, was created to honor Riley Hospital patients and Ashley Crouse, a former IU student and IUDM organizer who was killed in a car accident in 2005.\n“The torch is symbolic with keeping Ashley’s memory alive,” said IUDM vice president of communications Jill Delaney.\nThe torch ride is the kick off event for this year’s 17th annual Dance Marathon. IUDM is the nation’s second largest student-run organization and more than $920,000 during last year’s marathon alone. \nThe torch ride is not a fundraising event, IUDM Director of Entertainment R.J. Clouse said, but is another way for IU students to get involved with Riley and give IUDM good visibility.\n“IU and riding go hand-in-hand, so to incorporate such a rich part of IU’s history with Riley is a great thing,” he said. “It’s also a great time to kick dance marathon into gear.” \nAlthough IUDM worked with the Little 500 riders’ council to recruit riders, both cyclists and non-cyclists will participate.\n“This is my first year doing the event,” Clouse said. “I’m not a biker previously, I just saw it as an opportunity to stretch myself and help the kids in any way I can.”\nAshley Crouse’s brother, Charlie Crouse will guide a brief dedication ceremony outside Riley at 8:15 a.m. Riders will be joined by a few Riley patients for the first half-mile of the journey, Delaney said. The ride will end at the IU campus in Bloomington.