FAFSA forms to go paperless in 2008

Electronic system will allow for faster application process

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The free application for Federal Student Aid will be available only electronically starting next year. \nIn September, the U.S. Department of Education announced the FAFSA change of distribution method that ceases schools’ privileges of ordering paper applications. \nThe benefits of lowered reliance on paper include reduced cost and waste, according to the Department of Education press release. \nIn an example from the Sept. 18 release, one school requested 75,000 paper applications only to produce 68 submissions for processing. \nElectronically submitting the application also means faster processing for students, said Nadine Hamrick, interim director of student financial aid at Marshall University. \n“It takes about two weeks if you do (the application) on paper,” Hamrick said. “There’s a delay in the institution getting it.” \nHamrick also said the margin for error is reduced by an electronic application. \n“Online you have help,” Hamrick said. “It will not let you leave the application or submit it if there are errors, or if something is missing. As far as accuracy is concerned, this is the best route.” \nMany students across the nation already apply for federal grants, work-study and loans with the electronic FAFSA. \nIn West Virginia, 92.7 percent of all applicants submitted their applications on the Web for 2006-07, Hamrick said. \nAt least one student at Marshall University said she prefers the electronic application to the paper copy. \n“It’s not just faster to apply for the FAFSA online,” junior Danielle Bray said. “It’s also easier because the online application gives you hints.” \nThe FAFSA in any form requires signatures of both the student and the parent. Electronic applicants may choose to print, sign and mail the application or apply for a personal identification number to sign without further delay. \nIt takes about one to three business days to receive a personal identification number through e-mail so students and their parents who want to sign the FAFSA electronically should request a personal identification number “immediately when they think they are going to apply,” Hamrick said. \nPersonal ID numbers can be requested at www.pin.ed.gov. \nUp to three paper copies of the FAFSA may be requested by a student through the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID. The FAFSA may be completed electronically at www.fafsa.ed.gov.