Exhibit provides look into Tibetan life

Bloomington City Hall is playing host to “Tibet in Sight and Sound,” an exhibit of rare photography and music from the Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center’s collection. Those who are interested in familiarizing themselves with Tibetan life can do so until Oct. 31.\nThe exhibit was put on with the help of the Sound Healing Foundation. The audio portion of the exhibit includes sound from ceremonies inside monasteries, nunneries and other parts of Tibet.\nOne of the contributing photographers, Adrianne Koteen, has had her work featured in the International Museum of Women, the United Nations and the San Francisco Zen Center. Tom Kenyon, who provided the audio, is a composer, neuroscientist and sound healing teacher.\nMost of the photographs in the collection were taken in Tibet and focus on monastic life. Richard Farkas is among the photographers who contributed to the collection. Farkas said he has been taking photos with a monastic focus for about 10 years.\nFarkas’ photos depict everything from prayer flags raised above a field of vibrant yellow flowers, to a monk flashing a peace sign, to a table adorned with candles. His realist approach allows viewers to be taken in so much that they can almost feel the atmosphere of Tibet around them.\nFarkas said his involvement with monastic photography was something that happened gradually over time. \n“As I began to learn more about Tibetan Buddhism and Tibet, I became more interested in the people,” he said. \nFarkas, who has visited Tibet twice in the past, said he believes it’s important that people see images of Tibet such as those on display. \n“I think it is important for people to understand what has happened in Tibet, both before 1950, when the People’s Republic of China invaded, and since,” he said. “Through my pictures ... I hope to get people interested enough to find out more about Tibet and perhaps tell others. Tibetans are beautiful people, and they have a wonderful culture.” \nThe “Tibet in Sight and Sound” exhibit will be on display until Oct. 31 in the Bloomington City Hall Atrium. The exhibit is free and open to the public.