EVERYBODY WANTS A SECOND CHANCE ... What if you could have one?

Second Life is a computer simulation created to enable users to live in a virtual world

Illustration by Natalie Avon

The genesis In the beginning, Linden Labs created a computer simulation. The computer simulation was formless and empty, so Linden Labs said, "Let there be virtual simulation of light," and there was virtual simulation of light. And Linden Labs proceeded to create those simulations that would model their simulation after the Earth, and they saw that it was good. Then Linden Labs said, "Let us make avatars in our image, in our likeness and let them rule over the simulation." Linden Labs blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the simulation and subdue it." Thus, the Second Life was completed in all its vast array.

The universe Second Life, the name taken in its literal sense, is exactly what San Francisco-based Linden Labs developers created when they launched the virtual-reality simulator in 2003. For the program's 9.5 million-plus users, the freedom to explore a virtual world that simulates almost every facet of human existence is at their fingertips. From interaction and conversation to competing in virtual markets, from developing virtual industry to simulating sex between avatars, almost any possibility conceived physically or mentally on Earth can be conducted in Second Life. The Second Life universe is owned and operated by its residents, complete with its own currency the "Linden dollar," which can be purchased at a currency exchange for U.S. dollars. But with such limitless possibilities and a chance to become any person one desires with few barriers, what lifestyles will people pursue? Will they be concerned with making money? Will they use the system for social interaction and sexual stimulation? Will they build? Will they make war? Will they create?

A Second Life "This game is not a game really. I play another game online sometimes and they all have a goal. Here there is no goal. Just your own imagination." Careltje Pheonix is an avatar born three years ago and an avid user of Second Life. For her, the virtual universe is more than just a game, but a place to feed her work addiction. And she provides an answer to one of the above questions: "I only came here because I can build things here." The first creation available to Second Life users is a name they use within the world. The program allows members to type any first name they wish and select a last name from a list. Pondering what I would have my friends call me if I could start anew, my mind wandered to the realm of music culture. Being a rock 'n' roll fan with Led Zeppelin posters on my wall, the perfect first n*ame for my avatar took little time to formulate. My last name jumped out from the list as it would to any cliche college student, and Zoso Boozehound was born. As I was going through tutorials on how to use Zoso effectively, the first and most outstanding possibility I noticed in Second Life was the ability to fly. I spent about two hours flying around the tutorial area before I finally completed my basic Second Life education. I entered the Second Life universe not knowing what to expect. I soon learned. A major appeal of Second Life is that users can live a life they choose without fear of judgment. I quickly found peoples' views of utopia are quite different from each other, illustrated by the first two events I witnessed as an avatar. I walked 100 paces away from the starting point and found an avatar bent to his knees in front of a cross in prayer. Not wanting to disturb his spiritual haven, I turned and walked 100 paces in another direction. There I found a group of three women and a man having a sadomasochistic orgy, hitting each other before indulging in simulated ecstasy. The stark contrast made me want to throw up, but Zoso was OK with it. It seemed that Hotdecals Loon, a virtual tatoo artist who prefers Second Life's social aspect to the business world, would be OK with it too. "There are tons of free sex places that are very popular. Sex is the biggest seller in real life and Second Life." Having witnessed two poles of how Second Life could be used, I decided to spend time exploring. Taking flight, I watched mountainous terrain turn to plains and plains turn to oceans before I found the most appealing place for any good capitalist: Freebie Planet. Here, I decked myself in clothes I would never wear but in which Zoso looked great: a neon-green Puma shirt, blue Ray-Ban sunglasses and a white mohawk, proving that even in Second Life, real-world companies turn avatars into walking billboards. I was more than happy to comply. Zoso Boozehound is definitely a playa. After having selected my clothing and body styles (avatars can change physical attributes on command), it was time to choose my place in the world. Should I get a job to earn some Lindens? Should I start my own company and try to take over the market? Do I want to meet a pretty girl and buy a house? I decided I had no need to rush. Rather, I tried to determine who I couldn't be in the real world and made Zoso into an outlet for that. And so, like any responsible avatar, I exchanged about $10 for 2,000 Lindens and went motorcycle shopping.

Into the future These days, Zoso Boozehound can be found cruising around on his Custom Springer Chopper V3.2 motorcycle at Thunder Roadhouse, a biker-themed island for racing avatars who drink too much and spend their lives as vagabonds. Today, Zoso is a chopper-riding badass with nothing to lose. Tomorrow, he could be a rapper, complete with gold chains and expensive cars. The day after that, he might be happily married and running a cyber-business. The appeal of Second Life is that users can be one person today and another person tomorrow. Imagination meets reality, an intoxicating possibility. "When you start here, it's a game, right, like Sims online or something. But then you realize that it's all people ... and you're one too ... with feelings and morals and all." This is how Careltje Phoenix views Second Life. While Jacob Stewart is a political science dork who likes to read, Zoso Boozehound can be everything I never get to be. This is my Second Life. What will yours be?