Classic Album Review: Elvis Costello and The Attractions This Year's Model

Mad Elvis

ver the years, Elvis Costello has recorded, by various turns, country, folk, blues, jazz, soul and Brill Building pop. And that's all well and good -- but what if you just want to hear him rock? Then you should get This Year's Model.\nReleased in 1978, This Year's Model is Costello's second album and the first with his former backing band The Attractions. And while the album art has Costello sporting his iconic suit, tie and clunky glasses, make no mistake: This is a stone-cold classic punk album. \nNow, we're not talking about the hardcore three-chord assault that descended from the Ramones and early The Clash. TYM is closer to early New York punk (Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Patti Smith, Television, Blondie, etc.) and post-Sex Pistols British punk (London Calling-era Clash, the Buzzcocks, Wire). That is to say, its pallet is broader, incorporating electric organ, funky bass, crooning and even a slow tune ("Little Triggers"). But it doesn't deviate far -- no song surpasses four minutes, the energy is furious and, more importantly, so is Costello. \nHis voice may be smooth, but his lyrics rage at those two great punk muses: bad sex and a bad society. Regarding the former, Costello seethes with frustration, alternately flinging withering barbs and threatening come-ons. In "Pump It Up," he sings: "She's been a bad girl / She's like a chemical / Though you try to stop it / She's like a narcotic / You wanna torture her / You wanna talk to her / All the things you bought for her / Putting up your temp'rature." As for the latter, Costello blasts the media in particular, decrying advertising in "This Year's Girl" and radio commercialization in the anthem "Radio, Radio." \nAnd, yet, you'll find yourself singing along with it in the shower. That's what makes for a rock masterpiece.