Classic Album Review: Elvis Costello and The Attractions Armed Forces

A new-wave call to arms

efore it became Armed Forces, Costello and The Attractions' 1979 release was originally titled Emotional Fascism, so it's no surprise the album takes on a political commentary. And songs such as "Two Little Hitlers" and "Oliver's Army" outline an early hit list with a new-wave sound. \nArmed Forces has dense production and extravagant keyboard arrangements that would be overwhelming if the lyrics were not so powerful.\nThe album shows Costello transforming from a nerdy punk kid into a musical pioneer as he sings about aggressive concepts of social action. And Costello wants action. In "Accidents Will Happen," he makes no mistake about it with showcase metaphors such as, "There's so many fish in the sea / That only rise up in the sweat and smoke like mercury."\nThe band's third album was an early indication of Costello's metamorphic abilities. "Green Shirt" smolders with subtle production to expose the pained lyrics, "Party Girl (Live)" is deceivingly mature for being about someone who is not, and "Moods for Moderns" is pure new-wave glory.\nOne of Costello's most recognizable songs, actually a song by producer Nick Lowe, closes the U.S. version of the album. The track is simultaneously accusative and poignant. You hear Costello's call to action sung over kicking chords and bouncy drums. The song asks if all hope is lost during such troubled times. It's a message that still resonates today. Everyone is still wondering, "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding"