4 charged in theft of giant key sculpture installed in Maryland

Stolen Keys

FREDERICK, Md. – These giant skeleton keys can’t be used to pick locks, but they could soon be opening some jailhouse doors.\nFour men were arrested and charged with stealing one of 30 fiberglass keys installed throughout Frederick’s historic downtown in tribute to national anthem author Francis Scott Key.\nAuthorities said the stars-and-stripes number was taken by four men who smiled and waved at witnesses as they loaded the 6-foot item into a pickup truck.\nThe piece was recovered at the home of three men, ages 28 to 31, who were arrested along with a 36-year-old companion and charged with theft greater than $500, police said.\nIt was the second key stolen – bystanders foiled a third theft attempt – since the keys decorated by local artists were unveiled in August. At least 10 have been vandalized with spray paint and one was broken into pieces during a street festival Oct. 7.\nStill missing is a key painted by Gail Padgett and Roni Nehemias to look like the Maryland flag. It disappeared over the weekend from outside the Maryland School for the Deaf, police said.\n“It’s mostly goofy people who are drunk, usually, and it’s something new for them to mess with,” Officer Rebecca Huegel said.\nKey, author of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” is buried in Frederick. The keys will be auctioned off Nov. 1 to benefit the Frederick Arts Council.