WEEKEND lays down the law

In the movie "Footloose," Kevin Bacon stumbled into a sleepy small town that outlawed dancing. In Indiana, there are actual laws just as crazy as the one Bacon encountered. WEEKEND investigated some of the state's most outlandish legalities.

In South Bend it is illegal for an individual to make a monkey smoke a cigarette. This was first brought into notice in 1924, when the accused was to pay a $25 fine.
Illustration by Natalie Avon

In the movie "Footloose," Kevin Bacon stumbled into a sleepy small town that outlawed dancing. In Indiana, there are actual laws just as crazy as the one Bacon encountered. WEEKEND investigated some of the state's most outlandish legalities. IC 35-46-6-2
Inhaling toxic vapors
There is an entire chapter dedicated to "glue sniffing." It is furthermore illegal to ingest or inhale model glue, or any other chemical that could be toxic "with intent to cause a condition of intoxication, euphoria, excitement, exhilaration, stupefaction or dulling of the senses." Beware of sniffing some Elmer's next time you're at an arts-and-crafts event or you will be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. IC 15-2.1-21-13
Birds or rabbits; sale restricted; exception; discoloring prohibited
It is illegal to change the color of birds and rabbits. This applies to dying, staining and any other method. The crime is a Class B misdemeanor. IC 7.1-3-10-5
Package liquor stores; permissible commodities
There is a specific list of legal products that a package liquor store can sell. Under its "exclusive business," it is only legal to provide soda in an "uncooled and uniced" state. The same applies to water and ginger ale, among others. This also means that it would be illegal to sell any juice or milk at a liquor store. Don't run out to Big Red when you need milk for your cereal. IC 14-22-9-1
Unlawful means of taking fish
It is illegal to try to catch a fish other than ... well, fishing itself. There is even a list of illegal methods and devices. These include, but are not limited to dynamite, a firearm and "hands alone." Hemingway would be disappointed. On the other hand, it is also noted that one can be allowed to do any of this if given a "special permit." One cannot help but wonder how to obtain such a permit.