The imprint of success

Brandon Foltz

For many students, classes are an obligatory part of the college experience. For seniors Jared Golden and Amish Tolia, though, a class paved the way for their prosperity as young entrepreneurs. The result? Campus Threadz, a full service custom apparel and promotional item printing company the two started in October 2005.\n“We met in our (business technology) class, and that’s when we came up with this idea,” Golden said. “We were both interested in starting our own business.”\nGolden and Tolia decided on starting Campus Threadz, whose T-shirt prints range from the “Sampsonite” shirts for IU men’s basketball fans to Big Man on Campus.\n“Three weeks were more than enough for us to trust each other,” Tolia said. “Prior to meeting we were both looking for someone who was committed, good at academics and good socially.”\nGolden and Tolia took a little over a month to get all their operations started.\n“It was a learn-as-we-do process where we had a picture of what we wanted the business to be and had to make it happen,” Golden said. \nCampus Threadz provides custom printed apparel to organizations. The business specializes in bulk ordering with student groups, and the greek community forms its largest customer base.\n“We tried to create this one-stop shop for apparel business,” Tolia said. “Eight months ago we were officially licensed by the University to print University trademarks.”\nCampus Threadz has a steady base of customers from various universities. Apart from IU, it caters to Southern Methodist University, Princeton University and Ohio State University. Golden and Tolia employ more than 24 students across these campuses. \n“Our operations are so seamless that the only thing we need at any other university is a reliable manager, and they pretty much run their own business,” Tolia said. “Our mission has been to set up a company that is legitimate and independent that could function without us.”\nTheir mission remains the same as their business develops organically, Golden said.\n“It has been very enjoyable working with Campus Threadz,” said Mark Nagrodzki, an MBA student and friend of Golden and Tolia. Nagrodzki said the two were looking for fraternity house representatives, and he decided to represent his house, Sigma Alpha Mu. “Campus Threadz provides an excellent quality of customer service, especially for their IU clientele.”\nWhile they compete on price, they beat their competition on quality, Golden and Tolia said.\n“We have a unique, low-cost business model and a supplier network that is unmatched.” Tolia said.\nGolden and Tolia balance studying for tests, going to football games, attending cookouts with friends and managing their business with skill. Friends form their support system, they said, though they are appreciative of the support they’ve received from faculty as well.\n“As you progress through the business school, you begin to spend more and more time with your professors. You begin to develop relationships with them even outside the scope of the B-school,” Golden said. “And that’s when the B-school becomes a whole different world.”\nFaculty and staff at Kelley commend the initiative taken by Golden and Tolia.\n“Both are terrific students and individuals,” said Geoffrey B. Sprinkle, associate professor of accounting. “Campus Threadz is a fabulous organization that reflects positively on Kelley and IU. We support their entrepreneurial endeavors wholeheartedly.”\nWhile Tolia and Golden give 25 to 30 hours a week to their business, their college experience is the foremost of their priorities, they said. Tolia, a finance-real estate and entrepreneurship major and Golden, a finance major, are both members of the Mitte Business Honors Program and the Investment Banking Workshop.\n“If we put in the investment banking hours to Campus Threadz, we could be Fortune 500 in a year,” Tolia said.\nFor now, they are committed to the development of their local communities. They have broken down barriers within IU by catering to every section of the community, Golden said. \n“There are a lot of students out there who are very entrepreneurial,” Tolia said. “We want our example to encourage other students to go with their ideas.”\nBeing full-time students and full-time entrepreneurs at the same time adds to the experience, Golden said.\n“Kelley is a set of resources that we are lucky enough to have. What determines your likelihood to succeed is your drive,” he said. “In the end, all we did was take an idea and transform it into something real.”