Police officer battered

Bloomington Police Department reports

A Bloomington man was arrested Monday night for allegedly assaulting a police officer in Peoples Park.\nPeter Torgersen, 38, faces preliminary charges of battery on a police officer, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement.\nBloomington Police Department Officer Shane Rasche was on patrol Monday night when he spotted Torgersen drinking a bottle of beer, BPD Sgt. Jeff Canada said, reading from a police report. \nRasche got out of his car and approached Torgersen. While Rasche was talking on his radio, Torgersen pushed him against his car and ran off behind Nick’s English Hut, Canada said, reading from the police report.\nTorgersen was taken into custody and transported to the Monroe County Jail.

BPD investigates fraud in home

BPD is investigating a case of “home improvement” fraud that allegedly occurred last Friday.\nBPD received a call Saturday from an 89-year-old woman who reported that two white men told her the day before that they needed to fix the roof on her trailer park home, Canada said, reading from a police report.\nThe victim told officers that the two men came to her door and told her they were checking roofs on trailers. The victim signed a contract with the two men, agreeing that they would fix her roof, Canada said. According to the police report, the suspects told the woman the cost for the roof would be more than $1,500.\nThe two suspects told the victim she needed to stay inside the trailer because they would be using a bright light on the roof and did not want to injure her eyes, \nCanada said.\nAbout an hour and a half later, the two men collected the check from the victim and left, according to the police report. \nOfficers and neighbors noticed the only difference on the victim’s roof was six to 12 inches of white paint around a vent, Canada said. \nBPD Det. Rob Shrake took over the case and has one suspect. BPD is still investigating the matter.\nBPD encourages anyone who has had a similar situation to call Shrake at 349-3352.