Online only: The Meanest of releases

Dropkick Murphys The Meanest Of Times Grade: A-

Punk's been waning the last decade or so, but it's nice to see that the heavy hitters are still coming out strong. The Dropkick Murphys may have seen a line-up change or two, but their newer material seems to be rawer and more heartfelt than ever. The Meanest of Times is fifteen self-released tracks of Celtic punk, Irish folk and straight up rock 'n' roll.\nFlogging Molly ain't got nothing on the Murphys. Expect songs about drinking ("Famous For Nothing"), the loss of loved ones ("God Willing"), loyalty ("Loyal To No One"), and good times ("(F)lannigan's Ball"). Bold choruses and plenty of loud guitars and bagpipes will kick your ass with raucous fury. Looks like another round of Guiness for everyone.\nStylistically, this one is diverse as ever. Irish folk songs are more prevalent on The Meanest Of Times than the on the last release (The Warrior's Code), but the Murphys don't let people forget that they like to rock out like their contemporaries (The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers). Oh, and look out for appearances by Ronni Drew of The Dubliners and Spider Stacy from the Pogues on "(F)lannigan's Ball."\nThe Meanest Of Times is reminiscent of some of the Murphys' classic releases (The Gang's All Here, Sing Loud Sing Proud) and may become a classic Murphys album as well.