New Bloomingfoods opens on 6th Street

Event will include charity race, poetry, art, music

Saturday’s grand opening of Bloomingfoods’ newest location will be accompanied by day-long festivities including a 5k race, poetry reading and block party. The new branch of the cooperative grocery store, which promotes local, organic food, is located at 316 W. Sixth St. \nThe day begins at 8:30 a.m. with a 5k Breakaway run/walk race through the downtown of Bloomington and across the IU campus. Walk up race-day registration will be available. Following the race, on-site chair massages will be offered to competitors, and all proceeds will benefit the Middleway House and the Community Kitchen.\nAt 1:45 p.m., local musician Malcolm Daglish will perform a song to open the ribbon cutting ceremony. Mayor Mark Kruzan, among others, will speak at the ceremony, which will close with a poetry reading by Daglish, according to a Bloomingfoods press release. \nThe festivities will continue from 3 to 8 p.m. with a block party taking over Sixth and Madison Streets. Bloomingfoods’ own chef will prepare dishes from local food providers, and various local organizations will have booths set up along the street. The party will also offer door prizes and performances by local bands including Irish Session Players, Andy Cobine Trio, Priceless and the Dew Daddies. The performances will run from 3:30 to 8 p.m., according to the press release. \nAn art display entitled, “Sleeping Merchant” by Mark Blaney of West Lafayette and local art from the Bloomingarts Series will also be showcased at the block party. The Bloomington Series features the work of local art students from University Elementary in a unit called “If I Could Fly.” This unit depicts the dreams of children and will continue to be showcased at Bloomingfoods for the entire month of September, according to the press release. \nFor additional information about the 5k breakaway race or the events for Saturday visit www.5kbreakaway.blueacemedia.com or call 317-345-1878.