Mayoral candidates spar on economy, environment issues

Sabbagh, Kruzan compete for votes in 2nd of 3 debates

David Corso

Thursday’s televised mayoral debate featured candidates Mark Kruzan and David Sabbagh heatedly defending their views as they fielded questions from panelists and viewers at WTIU, IU’s official television studio.\nA panel of journalists including Herald-Times editor Bob Zaltsberg and WFIU news director Will Murphy, among others, questioned the candidates and read several questions from Bloomington residents. Response times started at about one minute but were eventually cut to 30 seconds to challenge the candidates into giving the most concise answers.\nSabbagh, a Republican, frequently accused his opponent, incumbent Mayor Kruzan, of misstating views, while blaming him for a “bloated” budget increase in the mayor’s office of 60 percent – ”three times (the growth) of the city,” he said. \nSabbagh continued by saying Kruzan’s administration has created an “uncivil, intimidating workplace” and has caused an “exodus” of employers from the downtown area. He called the U.S. Census Bureau’s calculation of Bloomington’s poverty rate at about 35 percent “eye-opening.” \nKruzan, a Democrat, said in response “David (Sabbagh) must have woken up grumpy this morning.” He touted Forbe’s magazine’s recent rating of Bloomington as “one of the top 10 (cities) in the country for business and careers.” \nKruzan criticized Sabbagh for saying he would be able to work with colleagues from whom he distanced himself merely because he has been in the minority party for 12 years. He argued against the census figure, saying it was “exaggerated somewhat” by the student population.\n“I don’t subscribe to the belief that Bloomington is the fifth or sixth worst-off city in the country,” Kruzan said.\nSecond to the economy was the issue of environmental sustainability. Kruzan pointed to EverGreen Village as an example of his administration’s energy-efficient housing agenda, along with sewer extensions and about 150 acres of “green space” he has helped add to Bloomington. \nSabbagh characterized City Hall as a “fleet (of) gas-guzzling SUVs,” meaning that Kruzan’s administration has allowed high carbon emissions that has caused pollution. He pressed further on the issue of housing, saying average properties should cost less than $230,000. \nZaltsberg asked the candidates how they would work with IU to improve Bloomington’s overall quality of life. Sabbagh said he began his career as an academic, teaching for more than 15 years, and emphasized his experience with college life. \n“IU is our number-one asset,” Sabbagh said, adding that he sees an “unprecedented opportunity” in the leadership of IU President Michael McRobbie.\nKruzan also pointed to his years of collegiate experience – as a student, faculty and staff member at IU as proof of his commitment to the school. He also praised Michael McRobbie for his enthusiasm for the life sciences and technology sectors.